By Kirstie Boone
It may seem like a trend from the past, but a classic white button-down blouse is still a must have for every woman’s closet. Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe all owned and loved this timeless, versatile piece. And who can forget Jennifer Grey’s twist on the classic white blouse with her tied up button-down as Baby Houseman in Dirty Dancing? Despite the growing popularity of geometric patterns and fresh, bright colors, the white button-down is one piece of clothing that has stuck with us through the ages. At CMM, we put together a list of ideas on different ways to wear a white button-down in today’s world!
1. When you’re looking for the perfect outfit to wear to an interview for your dream job, you can’t go wrong pairing a white button-down blouse with a blazer, slacks or a pencil skirt and pumps. A professional, yet sophisticated outfit isn’t complete without a crisp white button-down shirt.
2. When the work day is over and it’s time for a night out on the town with friends, simply pair a white shirt with a scarf for a fun, playful look. Adding a pop of color to your outfit is easy with a beautiful silk scarf and a colorful handbag or bright shoes. Pair with dark or black jeans and your favorite pair of heels. This look is the perfect transitional day-to-night outfit because you can wear a sleeveless button-down under a blazer, and the scarf if it matches, then simply take the blazer off when work is over and it’s time to play!
3. Who says a white blouse is too plain? Pair that classic white button-down with a tea length or floor length skirt and amazing jewelry for a dressy occasion such as a wedding or party. Whether you dress the outfit up with a stunning statement necklace or sparkly earrings, a white button-down can be the perfect option for a dressier outfit.
4. A white button-down is the perfect solution for when the hot summer sun is beating down on you. Our fourth option is perfect to wear in these last few months of summer in South Carolina. Pair a white button-down blouse with scalloped or seersucker shorts and your favorite sandals or summer flats for a classic, southern style and a look that will keep you cool throughout the summer months.
5. Lastly, we can’t forget about fall outfits, as cooler weather is (hopefully) right around the corner. For a look specific to fall, pair an oversized white button-down blouse with skinny jeans and ankle boots for a cozy yet trendy outfit. Whether you are running errands on a Saturday or taking kids to and from school and extracurricular activities during the weeks, this outfit centered around a white button-down is sure to keep you looking fabulous all day. Add gold accessories, a neutral tote and a hat for the perfect fall outfit.