By Kirstie Boone
Excitement fills the air as the holidays draw near. As the holiday season arrives, we anticipate fabulous parties, beautifully decorated homes, delicious food, the best of winter fashion and, of course, the joyous tradition of gift giving. Choosing the perfect gift can add stress to an already busy time of year as gift giving can be quite tricky and even frustrating at times. We are counting down our top 10 favorite gift ideas to give you inspiration for the gift giving season!
10. Picture this! A camera is the perfect gift for someone who truly values the little memories in their everyday life. In a world where iPhone cameras capture our every move, we often forget about the variety of high quality cameras to choose from. Cameras are perfect for capturing special memories especially during the holiday season. Polaroid cameras have recently seen an upgrade, and can be found in a variety of colors in a fun, new shape.
9. Date it! For a mom, sister or coworker who is always on the go, now is the perfect time to give her a new planner or calendar for 2017. The new year is almost here, and she will be filling up a new calendar with dates and to-do lists in no time! Lilly Pulitzer planers are always a favorite (check out Pink Sorbet or Invitation Station for adorable planners in all shapes and sizes).
8. Personalize it! Men can often be difficult to buy for, but a genuine leather monogrammed wallet is the perfect gift for any man in your life. You can personalize it with a name, phrase or monogram if you’d like. Whether you are buying for your dad, brother or husband, this gift is one that will be put to good use for years to come. Check out Initially Yours Columbia Luggage on Lady Street for all of your monogrammed needs this holiday season!
7. Organize it! For the “techie” in your family or friend group, this charger roll-up will keep the chords for all of their gadgets organized. Perfect for storing chargers and headphones, this gift can also be personalized with a monogram. Its compact size allows for easy storage in a purse or glove compartment, and it’s a great way to keep all of your cords untangled and separated.
6. Smell this! Who doesn’t love a delicious smelling candle? Pair the yummy fragrance of Rewined candles with the fact that they are handmade out of recycled wine bottles, and you have the perfect gift. Not to mention that the company began in Charleston, South Carolina. The names and fragrances of the candles are inspired by various wines and include scents such as Pinot Grigio, Champagne, Merlot, Cabernet and Pinot Noir. Rewined also makes soaps and glassware which make wonderful gifts! You can find Rewined candles and other Rewined products at local boutiques throughout the Midlands.
5. Drink it! Tumblers make excellent gifts for anyone on your list whether you are purchasing the gift for a male or female. For this reason, they seem to be a favorite for Secret Santa gatherings and Chinese gift exchanges. Our favorite tumblers for this holiday season are Yeti tumblers and Corkcicle tumblers. Yeti tumblers are extremely durable, and Corkcicle tumblers keep beverages cold for nine plus hours and hot for three hours. Both tumblers come in various sizes and colors, and can be personalized by adding a vinyl or engraved monogram or name. Tumblers make a great gift for the hot chocolate lover or coffee addict, as well as someone who loves to keep ice cold water close by throughout the day. Check out your local hardware store for Yeti tumblers and local gift shops for Corkcicle tumblers!
Don’t Break it! Looking for the perfect gift for the wine lover or hostess in your life? Govino stemless wine glasses are made of shatterproof, recyclable material and are BPA and BPS free. Govino also makes champagne flutes, cocktails, beer glasses and decanters, all perfect gift options for a friend or family member who loves to entertain. These “unbreakable” wine glasses are great to have on hand during the holiday season, especially during busy holiday parties. They also come in handy in the spring and summer months when drinks will be sipped poolside.
Serve it! The holiday season is the perfect time to give someone special a festive serving tray. A serving tray makes a wonderful gift for a friend or mother-in-law who loves to entertain. With New Year’s Eve just around the corner, this thoughtful gift is sure to be put to good use for the parties that are in store. We love this festive serving tray with a matching cheese board and coasters!
Note it! You can’t go wrong with stationary during the holiday season. Correspondence cards or notepads are the perfect gift for a sister who loves to write letters or a coworker that likes to take notes or doodle. A thank you note never goes out of style, and a beautiful set of thank you notes makes a wonderful Christmas gift. We love the classic style of Kate Spade’s correspondence cards and thank you notes! Many gift stores in the Midlands carry an assortment of Kate Spade stationary.
Read it! Give the gift that’s a perfect fit for everyone on your list, a subscription to the city magazine for the capital of South Carolina, Columbia Metropolitan Magazine. We may be a little biased, but a subscription is a gift that will keep giving throughout the year. Click here to subscribe to CMM and receive free perks such as gift cards to restaurants and Pure Barre classes, tickets to ballets and a free Columbia Metropolitan t-shirt!